Cultivating Metta – 5 Minutes A Day
Maintaining a healthy attitude of loving kindness is personal, and what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for everyone. Each person must shape her own practice.
For me, I start by tuning into myself, specifically I focus in the area of my heart until I feel the warmth spreading throughout my body. From there I am ready to move into my practice.
Here are some steps to help you create a process for yourself:
- Create enough structure to get you started
- Identify specific progress you want & be willing to shift as needed
- Be open to surprising insights
- Practice profound self-acceptance
Attitudes and behaviors that summon metta:
- Being judgmental
- Criticizing self or others
- Expressing ire at the least little provocation
- Having little understanding or compassion for others
Examples of practices to build wholesome metta:
- Upon awakening, spend a minimum of 30 seconds up to 5 full minutes focusing on being loving and kind. This may include humming, stroking your arms gently, smiling, identifying a few of your favorite things about yourself, or stretching and moving in ways that feel delicious.
- Throughout the day ask yourself for a dose of loving kindness. Then, get creative and do or say or think or feel something loving and kind towards yourself. Be playful about it.
- Set aside some period of time every day (from 15 minutes to an hour) to do something special that you enjoy – walk in your favorite park, dance around the house to music, sit in the sun or shade and read something you adore – do a different special treat each day.
- Before sleep, review all the loving kindnesses that you enjoyed, smiling deep within for rekindling a relationship with the self that you had let go unnoticed.
It is with admiration that I work with capable women who come face to face with injury, surgery or a difficult diagnosis. I guide them holistically to navigate the medical trauma and maneuver through the emotional mayhem so they can return to a vibrant, independent life. If you or someone you know has such a challenge, I would deeply appreciate you sending them to AuthentiCore.com to contact me to see if we are a good fit to work together.